Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year...Well Almost


First and foremost I want to clarify one thing. I LOVE CHRISTMAS! I love everything about it. The joy, the snow, the music, the family, the food, and most importantly what it stands for. I am not trying to be some bah-hum-bug Scrooge by any means, so please don't think that that is my aim.

My biggest hang up of the holiday season is the ever-present (no pun intended ;]) premature launch of Christmas music. Every year, on November 1st it seems like some people in this world go into the mode of, "HOLY COW CHRISTMAS SEASON IS HERE AND IT'S TIME FOR CHRISTMAS MUSIC ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!!!" AHHHH CHRISTMAS!" Even Justin Bieber released his Christmas album on November 1st this year!

As I said before, I abso-freaking-lutely LOVE Christmas music. I mean shoot dang, I have over 2 gigabytes of it on my iTunes that just sits there for all but a month or so of the year! I even suffer the temptation to start listening to it all now. For example: the other day I was sitting in McDonald's trying to get some homework done and while browsing my iTunes library I came across the Christmas songs put out by Coldplay and Owl City. It took more effort than it probably should have to not click play.

Anyways, my point is this: Although the weather is starting to get colder and the sun is departing us earlier and earlier each night, it is way to soon to be listening to Christmas music. Granted, that is just my opinion, but I mean we still have a national holiday between us and legitimate winter/holiday season...or are we just skipping over Thanksgiving now? Ok, that is a bit dramatic but you get the picture.

To conclude my musings and ranting, I urge you to heed these next few sentences and take them to heart. If you are one of those that busts out the music on the first day of November, please take this with a grain of salt. Christmas music is designed to be short lived. It is designed to last for a little more than a month, and then die off. It is meant to build off the hype and anticipation that develops over those 10 months. Premature listening can kill the life of Christmas music and make it get old and die off before it should. Please consider joining me in fighting the temptation to listen to Christmas music until at least the day after Thanksgiving. It's only a few more weeks away! Plus, the wait and anticipation will make listening to that first song so much sweeter! We can do this together! I promise! :)

Have an opinion on this matter? I would love to hear it! Feel free to write it in the comment box!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to check back soon!

Love you guys!

-Andrew

3 comments:

I must admit...I've already listened to a couple Future of Forestry's Christmas music over the last couple months. Haha. I can't help it --their Advent EPs are so dang amazing.

it is NEVER to early to listen to Christmas music...there are no words for my disappointment!

Raquel, I completely agree about FoF! They are great albums!

Ashley, I am sorry to disappoint you!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More